Former Vice President of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar reacts to upcoming Ekiti election controversies.
The 71-year-old politician urged the Federal Government to maintain democracy, having been appalled at the images coming out of Ekiti State during Wednesday’s PDP rally in the state. Atiku tweeted: “I am appalled at the images coming out of Ekiti. The Federal Government should ensure that everything is done to preserve our hard-earned democracy.”
Earlier on Wednesday, Governor Fayose said the entrance to the state’s Government House was blocked by gun-wielding mobile police, and it’s the same location where he later claimed there was “heavy shooting by APC” in a bid to prevent his party’s victory in the July 14 Ekiti governorship election. Fayose’s Special Assistant on New Media, Lere Olayinka further disclosed the Governor had escaped a plot to assassinate him by Fayemi and he received treatment at the Government House clinic after he was hit by a teargas canister fired by the policemen.
“Having been a beneficiary of such propriety, it is incumbent on the Federal Government not to deprive others of the ladder it was provided by its predecessors,” Atiku said in a statement in Abuja on Wednesday
“Free, fair and credible elections are not a privilege. They are a right! The peaceful congregating of the good people of Ekiti State, be they members of the All Progressives Congress or the Peoples Democratic Party or of any other party, must be allowed by the Federal Government.”
Photo Credit: AFP